Monday, October 5, 2015

2015 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine to Campbell, Omura, and Tu

This year's Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine was awarded to William Campbell, Satoshi Omura, and Youyou Tu. These were not the names that were included in my previous post, but, when I wrote "Something more clinical is always a possibility," this was the kind of thing that I had in my mind. Campbell and Omura are credited for discovering a drug against roundworm parasites. Tu is credited for discovering a drug against Malaria. I did know that Tu had received the Lasker Award.

I don't have any interesting thing to say because I don't know much about the works of these researchers — I tend to be more interested in discoveries in basic science because I am a basic scientist myself. However, I don't think there is any question that these researchers have made huge contributions by discovering drugs that have saved so many people. This is after all a medicine prize. I would like to congratulate them and thank them for what they accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment